[Standards-JIG] File transfer in MUC

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Sat Oct 14 12:37:31 UTC 2006

Ian Paterson wrote:
> [...]
>>> and can get a copy of the file even if the sending client has gone
>>> offline.
>>> 4. The method can be supported by all clients, even clients that run
>>> in constrained runtime environments (like Web clients).
>>> 5. It is secure as long as https: (SSL/TLS) is used (assuming the
>>> MUC room and the HTTP server are secure - although those may be big
>>> assumptions to make).
>>> 6. Almost every client already supports XEP-0066.
>> The intention here is , how to send a file to all participants with
>> minimum of additional infrastructure requirements.
>
> Yes, the HTTP solution requires extra infrastructure, but so do
> solutions that use a STUN server. Although pure p2p solutions can be
> more secure and efficient, they will often prove impractical. So HTTP
> and/or STUN servers will still need to be deployed.
>
>> For example , requiring to have a fileserver on a publically
>> accessible internet (the users could behind different firewalls) when
>> user wants to share a file with 3 contacts in a muc is stretching
>> things a bit too much :-)
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. Almost every firewall allows Web form
> submition (HTTP POST). In fact plenty of them won't allow anything
> except HTTP.
>
>> The problem usually is that one of the users would not be using our
>> client, and we run into issues. So if there is a documented way of
>> initiating file transfer on a conference, it would be great.
>
> Yes.
>
>> You can use muc as a middleware for multicast - in which case ,
>> standard way to transmit binary content would be nice.
>
> But then there could be big "karma" issues. For a solution to be
> generally useful it needs to be OOB.
>
>>> The long term might look something like that. But IMHO we've got an
>>> excellent simple short-term solution already.
>>
>> The short term solution is not practical except for a small subset of
>> usecases unfortunately... and you are expecting an 'enlightened' user
>> (or a client which also uses webdav (and the like) to post content to
>> public server and then publish that uri).
>> Actually , it is not really practical to expect this from most
>> users/clients.
>
> Most clients already have the ability to receive files by opening HTTP
> URLs (XEP-0066). Most clients don't yet, but could easily, make the
> sending side 100% transparent for users. We just need to standardise
> the following in a XEP:
>
> 1. The details of how the XMPP server may advertise info about an HTTP
> server to its clients via disco#info (similar to the STUN server
> discovery protocol in section 5 of XEP-0176). The info would include
> the file reception URL, maximum file size, if the server is publicly
> accessable...
> 2. The format of the POST (compatible with the POST of a file from a
> Web browser).
> 3. The format of the response (trivially wrapped in HTML for

Just to add , if there was a common way to attach a file to the muc , it
would just be the case of a file transfer from the user to the muc , and
then multicast from the muc to the participants.
This need not be ibb , but can be oob too - just depends on what the muc
and the client negotiate on.
We need not define a new protocol to do this - the current file transfer
profiles can be reused for this : this is a variant of what we currently
have - but this is not really attaching a file to the conference : more
of multicasting.
As things stand now - multicasting of files is not possible to all
participants of the muc without a custom client/server protocol - so
solving and standardizing this problem will be great.

I was thinking of a simple extension to this - if a file gets attached
to the public muc (in some way) , it could get archived , picked up by
later joinee's , etc too : not just current participants.
I was thinking along these lines since it is alluded to in the muc spec
and thought it might be a more generic solution.
The current problem we have is - how can the client send a file to all
participants of a muc : once this is solved , other requirements might
come in later :-)

Regards,
Mridul