[Standards-JIG] screen sharing & remote control

Boyd Fletcher boyd.fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Sun Oct 15 23:54:29 UTC 2006

Hal,

OpenMCU is designed for conferencing. An Application Sharing or Casting
(one-way) stream is essentially no different than audio or video. There is
some extra singling that is involved but that can generally be done over
XMPP. The mouse movements could be embedded into application casting/sharing
packet. The nice thing about using SRTP is that it is  a standards based
protocol,  has a good security design, and is well suited for distribution
to large number of people. VNC hasn't been standardized and was not designed
for distribution of a stream to large number of people simultaneously.

if someone is already doing audio and video (and most folks are least doing
audio), then it makes since to leverage the same protocols and server
engines.

boyd