[Standards-JIG] XEP0191 - Blocking - Tracking Blocks

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Mon Oct 16 21:32:17 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre Wrote:
Chris Mullins wrote:
> > Would there be value in tracking the number of items blocked by a
> > blocklist entry? This could easily be added to the protocol as part
of
> > the blocklist.

> Where do these numbers come from? Is this the number of other users on
> the same server who have also blocked that entity?

These are tracked by the server. The use case is for me to know how
often "crazy stalker person" is trying to send me messages.

For example, let's say Romeo puts on a block on Juliet. She keeps trying
to get hold of him, and sends him 1500 messages over the course of two
hours.

Romeo might find this information useful. Client side, there's no
difference really - just some different visual presentation. Server
side, it would just have to keep track of how often a block is hit.

Jabber Software Foundation