[Standards-JIG] Re: Friendly Resource Names

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:48:07 UTC 2006

On 10/14/06, Remko Troncon <remko at el-tramo.be> wrote:

> > Resources aren't human readable IMO. I think what you want is a
> > named geolocation.
>
> Oops, I hit the 'send' button a bit too soon. Anyway, I meant to add
> a link to http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html plus a pointer
> to the 'description' child of the element. That should capture all
> the 'human-readable' information you want from the resource. The
> <addresses> child of the PEP event message should indicate from which
> resource the geolocation comes, so you have a mapping from resource
> to geolocation.

So the conclusion of your statement is that we should disallow the
user from changing the resource field, replacing it with a UID, and
where the user wants to name this location or computer, occupy this
description field instead?  Or do you see two separate purposes for
the two fields such that resource should remain editable?
--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc
http://halr9000.com