[Standards-JIG] New version of chess game protocol

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Wed Oct 18 20:00:17 UTC 2006

Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2006, at 2:14 AM, Richard Dobson wrote:
>> The game server component (games.jabber.org) will manage the games
>> and validate any turns people make and sending out the result of that
>> turn to all the players which the players will use to update their
>> copy of the board etc so they dont have to worry about checking
>> against the rules etc. Similar to how the workgroups protocol works
>> if a chat room is needed in a game the game server component will
>> create the room and give its address to all the participants (i.e.
>> chess34 at muc.jabber.org) so they can join if they want to, this seems
>> far more inline with xmpp/jabber to me as its using the various
>> components (i.e. MUC) for the purpose it was designed for rather than
>> trying to layer stuff like the sending of game moves etc ontop of it
>> which makes things far more complicated than above as you need to
>> have one of the people in the room acting as the master/validator of
>> any moves which just seems rather messy to me, it seems far better to
>> me to just move all the complexity to the server properly using a
>> proper component designed for the job.
>
> Using MUC for sending game moves does not seem complicated to me at
> all. It seems like the obvious choice.
>
> Why is it necessary for a room to have a master/validator? I do not
> think this is necessary at all because any client which supports the
> protocol must have validity checking built in (for non-spectator
> person-to-person games). This would make it very obvious to a client
> when someone is cheating.

  The client need not to be a single client - I could roll out a new
client which adheres to the protocol and start playing.
If this is opensource (or someone else writes one too :) ) , you could
modify it such that you remove validation , etc.
It could be willful maliciousness - or could be just plain bugs (most
newbie bots for example dont handle promotion , castling and enpassent
properly in chess - especially in frc).
Either way , the protocol should allow for validation of state.
This need not necessarily be enforced - for example : if a service
provider mandates a client , validates the version (disco , etc) and is
assured that it is 'his' client which has all client side validation
built in - then we could skip the server side validation.
This is an option - but most , if not all , online games have sevrer
side state validation for sanity purposes primarily , and to prevent
hacking/cheating/etc attempts alternatively.

> If anything I think this game component should be an extension of MUC
> to allow for some niceties, like avoiding cropping the history of a
> game for new spectators arriving in the middle of a game.
>
> I'm not saying that there isn't a need for a game-specific component,
> I'm just stating that:
>
>     1) The protocol (and the clients) should not prevent the use of a
> MUC for sending game moves. MUC should be a baseline.
>     2) If you need to create a custom protocol for game serving
> components to distribute game moves, it should be a logical extension
> of the MUC protocol.

Yep ,. muc makes perfect sense to me too.
It should be possible to leverage it and add minimal features to build
out what is required.

Regards,
Mridul