[Standards-JIG] Lost password XEP?

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sun Oct 22 18:59:05 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 4:28 am, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Maciek Niedzielski schrieb:
> > Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> >>
> >> Could you elaborate?  No clue what you are talking about here.
> >
> > Psi does not fetch required fields from server: it always displays the
> > same form, without asking the server.
>
> Exactly.

The explanation:

Early versions of Psi didn't use iq-get for either iq:auth or account
registration (via iq:register).  I didn't understand the necessity of the
iq-get request in these scenarios, and back then documentation was sparse (no
RFCs, no JEPs/XEPs).

Today, Psi does iq-get with iq:auth, but only to the extent that is defined in
XEP-0078.  It doesn't do any of the unofficial stuff like zero-knowledge.

However, Psi still does not support iq-get with account registration, and this
is somewhat deliberate.  By the time the iq-get problem came to my attention,
XMPP-Core was being written without account registration support.  My
assumption was that both iq:auth and account registration would be deprecated
soon.

In fact, XEP-0078 is now deprecated.  XEP-0077, however, is not, but this is
probably because it serves two purposes, the other being gateway
registration.  I think it is a fair time to consider deprecating iq:register
in the context of account registration.

-Justin