[Standards-JIG] New version of chess game protocol

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Tue Oct 24 16:28:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:22:55PM -0700, Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr.
wrote:

[Using MUC, how do you?]

> *) Allowing in only chess clients. Password is not
> nice way, since you need to let everyone know,
> so you can not just create the room and wait,
> is someone connects.

You require that anyone sending presence to the room does so using
Presence Capabilities, and that the capability resolves to a feature
that the room requires. This would be a slight modification to MUC, but
the room configuration data form would have a "required client presence
features" and that would then be enforced.

> *) Choose the right MUC component automatically. I know
> you would never try to play chess over IRC gateway,
> but what if there is a user, who does not see the
> difference? The client should choose it automatically
> if possible. How does the client recognize the MUC
> is suitable?

Again, a slight change to MUC to allow the server in question to
announce configured features. Features would be on a per-game server
basis. You would also want to add Features into a room, so that you
could Discover just "Chess" rooms, or "Checkers" rooms.

> *) If you wanted a game with referee, how would you
> do it? You would add referee to the room and he
> would just kick anyone who made an illegal move?
> Or retract the moves somehow? Or you would need
> to specify completely different protocol for
> the game with referee?

I would probably use Voice. The only person with rights to actually
speak in the room (aka: Issue a Move) would be the referee. You would
sent moves to the moderator (which you can discover), and if the move is
valid then he would post it to the room. If the move is not valid, you
would get an error back.

--
Chris Mullins