[Standards-JIG] Lost password XEP?

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Oct 24 17:38:24 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 7:58 am, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 11:59 -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > [..]
> > In fact, XEP-0078 is now deprecated.  XEP-0077, however, is not, but this
> > is probably because it serves two purposes, the other being gateway
> > registration.  I think it is a fair time to consider deprecating
> > iq:register in the context of account registration.
>
> I think there is still demand for in-band registration of user accounts.
> I haven't seen any alternatives to jabber:iq:register in that space.

Right, there aren't any alternatives for in-band registration.  But if there
is a demand for in-band registration, I think it is misplaced.

Most good server deployments don't support in-band registration.  E.g. Google
Talk, SAPO, corporate systems, etc.  However, the more "hobbyist" public
servers do use it.  I suspect they use it because that's the traditional
Jabber way, not because it's a particularly good way.

If deprecation is too strong, what I'm looking for is more of a recommendation
statement in XEP-77, like "you shouldn't implement this, but you can if you
want."  This way there'd be no expectation for a client to support it, and I
could safely remove it from Psi.  At the same time, the standard would still
be valid, for those that need to use it for whatever reason.

-Justin