[Standards-JIG] RFC 3921 Better User Presence Experience (Implementation Detail)

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Oct 26 06:56:44 UTC 2006

Hi JD,

> I was wondering what you guys thought about this and if anyone already
> implements something similar in their servers.

Ask some ircd coders, they know what you're describing ;-)

> Today if my server loses connectivity with any other server and I had
> received presence from a contact there they will remain online from my
> perspective even though they can't actually be reached. The server knows
> the contact can't be reached and sends out a stanza error to me the next
> time I try to communicate with my contact. However, my contact still
> appears online.

Does 'netsplit' mean anything to you?

> I would propose that if a server is ever unable to deliver a stanza to a
> remote domain over an S2S link it SHOULD notify all locally connected
> entities that have received presence from that domain with an empty
> presence unavailable stanza. And this should be in the implementation
> notes or maybe in 3921.
>
> Thoughts?

What happens if the remote domain is reachable again?
Does the server re-request the presence state of each remote user
again?
This might lead to the same connect burst that happens in IRC after a
netsplit (as what you're describing sounds alot like one).
Is amount of data small enough so that you can do this without
conflicting with flood control mechanisms?

Philipp

p.s.: "jabber should be more like irc!!!!!111!!!!!!!"