[Standards-JIG] RFC 3921 Better User Presence Experience (Implementation Detail)

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Thu Oct 26 10:46:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

  I think I did not clarify a point well enough I guess : mentioned it ,
but ...
Remote server will be maintaining the list of directed presence updates
for its user : which will not be available at the local server.
Mirroring this would on the local server will have significant cost and
reverse engineering effort (roster sync , etc).

As in , remote user r1 sends directed presence to local user lu1 - only
remote server will know if this is a directed presence or just part of
presence broadcast.
So , if you have to mirror this at the local server , you will need to
cache all n x m presence updates from that server and invalidate all of
them with unavailable presence to the n local users as soon as the
remote server goes mia - very expensive imo.

Regards,
Mridul