[Standards-JIG] RFC 3921 Better User Presence Experience (Implementation Detail)

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Thu Oct 26 20:46:27 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 10:25:25PM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> JD Conley schrieb:
> > I would propose that if a server is ever unable to deliver a stanza to a
> > remote domain over an S2S link it SHOULD notify all locally connected
> > entities that have received presence from that domain with an empty
> > presence unavailable stanza. And this should be in the implementation
> > notes or maybe in 3921.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I thought about it today. I think that this would be wrong. Sending
> unavailable presence has the semantic meaning of "entity is offline". -
> But a server not being able to deliver a stanza, does not know if the
> other end is offline - it only knows, that it knows nothing.

Well, to me unavailable means to me I can not talk with the person at
the moment. For any reason. Unreachable server means he is unavailable
as well.

It could have status text something like 'Lost connection'.

> I think we should think about something like sending a <presence
> type="error"/> in that case.

presence type error means to me something like "There was an error while
sending a presence/something".

--
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner