[Standards-JIG] RFC 3921 Better User PresenceExperience (Implementation Detail)

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Thu Oct 26 20:49:04 UTC 2006

> I think we should think about something like sending a <presence
> type="error"/> in that case. This would allow the entity that
> subscribed
> to the presence, to decide on how to react on this situation. E.g. a
> muc
> comonent could throw the user out of a room, while a client could mark
> the contact to have unknown state.

I do like that idea of using errors rather than unavailables. One bad thing I can see about using errors is it wouldn't work with existing clients (I can't think of any off the top of my head that show an error state for a contact very well). However, with an error the client could make a much more informed decision about how to display its contacts.

Regardless of how we notify the local clients, the local server still needs to keep retrying to connect to the remote domain and when it does it still needs to probe to make sure it has current presence. I'd still rather see this probe be a single (small - not extended stanza addressing) stanza rather than one for every entity that needs presence from the remote domain.

-JD