[Standards-JIG] Smack Jingle Development - XEP for Media Proxy negociation

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Mon Oct 30 19:34:33 UTC 2006

This is exactly the context in which a media relay server collocated with
the XMPP home server makes perfect sense. In addition, media relay servers
can be chained together.

This is the simplest approach, as
1/ it does not require modification on the client side, which would be the
case to add TURN support.
2/ it works with the current Jingle XEPs without addition.

But as Peter points out, it is not the only possible solution, and I
entirely agree that having RTP media relays as standalone Jingle services
would be great.
In this case, we would probably need an extension to Jingle to include the
relay into the signaling path. Unless I am missing something obvious, in the
current release of Jingle, the protocol only supports peer-to-peer
negotiation. There is an option for redirecting a session, but nothing for
relaying/forwarding a session request. I believe adding a relaying
capability in Jingle will give us more flexibility. This would be similar to
implementing the difference between the To header and the request URI in
SIP, where the To header represents the actual remote target UA URI and the
request URI the next hop to which the packet is sent.

Think of it in a wider scope, as an RTP relay proxy is actually independent
from the signaling protocol. It would open the door to multi-signaling
protocol relay proxies, supporting both SIP, Jingle and [add your favorite
signaling here], for example. It would also allow Jingle enabled IPBX to be
used as stand-alone Jingle nodes in an internet wide VoIP network.

My $0.02