[Standards-JIG] XEP-0167: Jingle audio payload extensions

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 30 19:56:25 UTC 2006

Currently, XEP-0167 specifies that the payload-type element shall be
empty. However, some payload types may allow additional parameters to be
exchanged.

For example, as described in draft-ietf-avt-rtp-speex, the "ptime",
"sr", "ebw", "vbr", "eng", and "mode" parameters may be specified in
relation to usage of the Speex codec. In SDP these parameters are
represented in the "fmtp" line. I think that in Jingle we would
represent these in XML, such as:

<payload-type id='96' name='SPEEX' clockrate='16000'>
  <fmtp xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle:description:audio:speex'
        vbr='on'
        cmg='on'/>
</payload-type>

I'm not sure if the XML representation needs to be defined in XEP-0167
or in a registry (I think the latter is preferable given that we might
define many of these).

Jabber Software Foundation