[Standards-JIG] Smack Jingle Development - XEP for Media Proxy negociation

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Mon Oct 30 22:17:12 UTC 2006

I am sorry to disagree on that point Scott :) TURN is still at the draft
stage, so is ICE. The probability for it to change before becoming an RFC
exists.

In addition, TURN is a protocol. As such, it requires to be implemented on
the client side. It might not be an issue for soft client using LibJingle,
but it is a major reason why it has not been implemented widely in the SIP
world (it would have required an update of many SIP phones). For
interoperability's sake, I believe we should offer both solutions.

Moreover, the only "standard" that is available to date for Jingle client
developers is the use of raw UDP (RTP) as everything is defined in RFCs.

Lastly, implementing the raw UDP transport is IMHO easier for a newbee VoIP
developer. And we want this Jingle stuff to take off, don't we?

Jean-Louis