[Standards-JIG] Jingle xeps

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Oct 31 21:56:31 UTC 2006

Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:
>> Ask the SIP folks, we're trying to map to their semantics. They have 180
>> (Ringing) vs. 182 (Queued). In practice I don't think we would use
>> something like 182 because that means the message is being queued at the
>> server. So I suppose we can pull that out.
>
> In my opinion the SIP 182 refers to cases where a UA is queuing incoming
> calls without issuing a busy indication. For the other party is only
> indicates there is a possibility for the call to be accepted...

RFC 3261 saith:

***

21.1.4 182 Queued

   The called party is temporarily unavailable, but the server has
   decided to queue the call rather than reject it.  When the callee
   becomes available, it will return the appropriate final status
   response.  The reason phrase MAY give further details about the
   status of the call, for example, "5 calls queued; expected waiting
   time is 15 minutes".  The server MAY issue several 182 (Queued)

***

That explicitly mentions server-side queueing, but perhaps in practice
182 is also used when the request is queued by a user agent.

/psa