AW: [Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: User Gaming

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 13:03:26 UTC 2006

The short version:
I'd love to see gaming negotiation happen over XMPP, but I think this
is a simple activity notification JEP and I'd rather it stayed that way.

The rambling version:

On 1 Sep 2006, at 13:10, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Heiner Wolf <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:
>>  I (as a level 60 WoW player) can only make informed guesses. But
>> I am far from a hard core gamer, because I am not doing any high
>> level content.
You don't get much higher level than 60 from my limited understanding ;)

I don't think WoW (or other mmos) are something that it's necessarily
worth trying to negotiate in the same way as an RTS, RPG, FPS, sports
sim etc. I could just fire up CS for a game with you, but I'm not
likely to just fire up WoW, start a character (of your faction) on
your server, and spend (approx.) 8 days levelling to 60 to join you.
It's interesting to know you're playing WoW for the sake of knowing
(the original intent of the (J|X)EP, I believe, but not in the
context of HPGD (Hal's plan for global domination).

>> My knowledge is even worse in the FPS field. We would need advice
>> from a regular CS and BF player. So, if anyone with such skills is
>> listening, please speak up.
> I've got the FPS side fairly represented.
I've probably got a large number of game types covered from my
mispent youth, but I don't think this is, initially, a matter for the
the protocol; protocol proceeding any attempt at implementation isn't
likely to end well. I like the idea of things like this being done
over xmpp, but I'd be much happier with someone starting such a
project and then feeding back the knowledge than trying to define a
protocol in advance.

/K

--
Kevin Smith