[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: User Gaming

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Mon Sep 4 19:48:37 UTC 2006

On Sep 04, 2006, at 17:58, Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Frank van Schie wrote:
>
>> There is essentially two attributes of a game that are constant:
>> - Whether or not you are playing it (or wanting to play it, or
>> insert-status-here)
>> - The name of the game.
>>
>> All the rest can vary, sometimes slightly, sometimes greatly.
>
> Nitpickers would point out that the name of the game *also* varies,
> depending on what locale (language) your client is running in.

Well, that's not the case here in the German-speaking area at least.
Almost all games retain their English name. The only exception I can
think of is a game by a German developer, "Die Siedler" / "The
Settlers". This causes some oddities in certain cases, like the "The
Lord of the Rings" movie and book titles are usually translated, but
the game titles are not.
The reason for that might be that gamers are much younger on average,
and are expected to have at least a basic knowledge of English.

andy