[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0136 (Message Archiving)

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Sep 8 22:25:59 UTC 2006

Le vendredi 8 septembre 2006 22:31, JEP Editor a écrit :
> Version 0.7 of JEP-0136 (Message Archiving) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This document defines mechanisms for server-side archiving of
> XMPP messages.
>
> Changelog: Added preferences, results set management and notes; reinstated
> encryption and replication; simplified auto-archiving and off-the-record
> (with JEP-0155); many minor changes (ip)
>
> CVS Diff:
> http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cvs/jeps/0136/jep-0136.xml?
>r1=1.12&r2=1.18

Globally, I like the change that has been made.

Anyway, there is a big issue :  It require client support.
I want the automatic archiving be working on every client, and the client must
not require to do anything.
(one rules one teach me is : put the complexity on the server, not the client)

So there are two issues:
- The client shouldn't need to send the <auto/> to enable automatic archiving
- The usage JEP-0155 is basically a client-to-client protocol which will not
work well for OTR in automatic archiving.

I have also some issues regarding the encryption :
 - Would it be fine if the user just specify a passphrase to access the
history, and all encryption and decryption mechanism are done into the
server ? (simple client/complex server)
 - Else, how are the secrets keys shared between clients ?