[Standards-JIG] Communicating timezone information

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Sun Sep 10 00:29:08 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>> Chris Mullins wrote:
>>> Maciek Niedzielski Wrote:
>
>>> I don't see why we don't use the standard Xml time format here.
>> Probably because this protocol is sooooooooo old ;)
>> Its time format is different than in all other JEPs.
>>
>> Maybe these are enough reasons to write a replacement?
>> New protocol would
>> 1) follow JEP-0082 (Jabber Date and Time Profiles) to express current time
>> 2) provide timezone offset in a standard format (like "[+|-]hh:mm" offset)
>
> I've thought about forcing iq:time to use the JEP-0082 format. What
> would be the transition issues?

It depends. If implementations parse this as ISO date-time, it would
still work. But I guess that they may be many implementations that can
understand only one format (the one from original JEP). Maybe it would
be a good idea to ask people on jdev how would their implementations
react to JEP-0082 format used in old JEPs.

>> And PEP fans could publish the information (just the timezone, of course
>> ;)) via PEP.
>
> I'll look at add TZ to JEP-0154 as well.

Thanks, sounds good.

--
Maciek                       A: It's against natural order of reading.
  xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net   Q: Why is that?