[Standards-JIG] Communicating timezone information

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 12:43:08 UTC 2006

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> 3. Why not just add the JEP-0082 format timestamp as a new result
> element? After some transition time, we could even stop sending the
> old format string.

If we're going to do that then we might as well create a new JEP
identical to JEP-0090 except for a new 'http://jabber.org/protocol/time'
namespace and the datetime format of the <utc/> element. Then, assuming
there weren't too many other improvements included, it could reach
"Draft" status quickly. It would also be trivial to implement for anyone
who'd implemented the old JEP, so JEP-0090 could be depricated in record
time.

We could do the same for JEP-0091 too (although during the transition
the need for dual delay elements would result in extra bandwidth
consumption).

- Ian