[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: User Gaming

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 02:09:33 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Nick Parker <nick at beoba.net> wrote:
> Is there any reason why this couldn't just be freeform text? Why can't
> we just use an away message? Is there some obviously useful
> functionality that this is providing?
>
> All I can see happening is the possibility of a "join me in this game"
> button, which would be a beast to implement in a manner that works for
> more than a handful of games, and besides only saves the user a few
> seconds of effort in the best case.

Well, I think it can be pertinent, sure.  I have a concrete example.
Two friends of mine are online, and playing a game.  Let's say one is
playing Counterstrike and the other Day of Defeat.  All three of us
have some hip new XMPP client which handles chat and VOIP and game
server browsing and friend "locating" (in the virtual world sense).
This client might support 100 games or more, with new ones added
weekly.

This may not make much sense to non-gamers, but Counterstrike and Day
of Defeat are similar in that they are first-person shooter games.
But they play totally differently.  I might be in the mood for one but
not the other.  Or, I might want to join friend A, but the map he's
playing is old and tired and I'd rather not play on it, so I see what
/exactly/ friend B is doing over there in Day of Defeat.  Ahh, I like
the map.  16 max players--the sweet spot.  13 currently
playing--plenty of room for me to join before the server fills up.
And so on.

You can see perhaps how if you take that group of three and turn it
into a clan with 30 members (with nothing to do at night but be in
front of their PCs :D ), how all of a sudden you've got a powerful
community-building, multi-dimensional communication tool.

I would like that possible.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc