[Standards-JIG] Fwd: proto-JEP: SVG Whiteboarding

Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. darco at deepdarc.com
Wed Sep 13 23:32:09 UTC 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Nolan Eakins wrote:
> This is probably minor to this discussion, but I would rely on the
> namespace and not the element's name. Considering most extensions to
> XMPP tuck everything into a namespaced element and namespaces never
> change, this is the best the policy.
>
> Under such a policy, the following two messages would be
> interpreted the
> same:
>
> <message>
>   <wb xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/svgwb"/>
> </message>
>
> <message>
>   <someuglyelementname xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/svgwb"/>
> </message>

I think this is a bad idea. The element name is not irrelevant, and
should never be ignored by the client. The element name is just as
important as the namespace. It should be either 'wb' or 'x', not
both, and certainly not undefined.

+1 for 'wb'. I never really liked 'x' anyway.

Robert Quattlebaum
Jabber: darco at deepdarc.com
eMail:  darco at deepdarc.com
www:    http://www.deepdarc.com/