[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Game Sessions

Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Tue Sep 19 07:29:46 UTC 2006

Mircea Bardac typeth:
| The whole idea of forwarding messages from one peer to another looks like a
| misuse of Jabber for me. IMO, all game types can easily be mapped over a MUC
| component.

But going through a central instance is actually a longer path.

A 'multipeer unicast' approach ("Many to many game, type web") is faster
and involves less messages. Remember, Jabber doesn't multicast, thus
direct messaging always requires less messages than submitting something
to a central server, be it a MUC or a custom daemon.

| 1. I ask a MUC component to give me a new randomly generated room (not sure if
If the central daemon for the game isn't doing anything specifically
useful to the game, the 'multipeer unicast' option is probably the
better choice. Only exception would be, if some MUC features by chance
happen to match your game requirements, like supporting 'spectators'.

| In order to sync with the current status of the game, (because the MUC
| component doesn't replay ALL the messages - from the begining of the game), a
| spectator could private-message one of the participants to request a sync.

And whoops you are off in special-hack-land. Why shouldn't you want the
central server to give you the full picture? Especially for games where
the central daemon holds relevant parts of the game logic (like on which
island the treasure is hidden) you just can't outsource it to any
client.

| The room owner (the initiator of the game) could store the game status for a
| later restart or he could delegate one of the participants to store locally
| the game status for a later restart.

Why do you want to enforce client-oriented application writing style on
people who may be perfectly able to do proper server-based apps?

	        xmpp:lynX at ve.symlynX.com » irc://psyced.org/#symlynX
	      the CryptoChat » https://psyced.org/LynX/?room=symlynX
			 network chat technology since 1988. no joke.