[Standards-JIG] email best practices JEP

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 13:35:30 UTC 2006

Tony Finch wrote:
>> IMHO XMPP's extensibility will give IM a better chance to fight SPAM wars than
>> email has had. That is just one reason why, IMHO, most people will benefit
>> once XMPP eventually replaces the email messaging protocols.
>>

> XMPP needs WAY better support for offline messages, error handling, large
> messages, multipart messages, etc.

Yes, I expect there will be some additional standardisation work, but
IMHO we've got most of the ingredients we need (including JEP-0013
"Flexible Offline Message Retrieval" - not mentioned in my previous
post). I expect, for the most part, we could get away with tying
together existing protocols and making any necessary improvements.

If we aspire to Jabber becoming the messaging standard, then it should
be as good as or better than email. The exercise itself should prove
beneficial to Jabber technologies.

Do you think this is a worthwhile project?

Is there any reason why XMPP (with some more enhancements) can't be at
least as "good" as email at everything email does - if we make that our
goal?

- Ian