[Standards-JIG] anti-SPIM advantages

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 13:35:48 UTC 2006

Tony Finch wrote:
> XMPP's only spam-related advantage compared to SMTP is the better
> inter-domain authentication, but that is no use unless you also have a
> reputation system for deciding who are the good guys and who are the bad
> guys.

I think the Jabber culture is our biggest advantage. As you point out,
the SPIM battles, once they start, will require a unified effort. Lead
by an organization that is capable of embracing *necessary* change and
enhancing or extending its standards quickly.

The problem with email SPAM is not that nothing could be done, its just
that, after many years, there is still a lack of consensus around any
standard protocols that could mitigate it.

IMHO, as long as we continue to value and protect its open dynamic and
flexibile culture, the JSF will fare far better than a more traditional
standards body could.

> If XMPP takes off then servers are going to have to implement lots
> of anti-spam stuff like DNS blacklist checks.

Yes. We've already got three Experimental protocols: JEP-0161 "SPIM
Reporting" (a foundation for the reputaion system you mentioned),
JEP-0159 "SPIM-Blocking Control" and JEP-0158 "Robot Challenges".

- Ian