[Standards-JIG] email best practices JEP

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 22 14:19:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Ian Paterson wrote:

> Yes, I expect there will be some additional standardisation work, but IMHO
> we've got most of the ingredients we need (including JEP-0013 "Flexible
> Offline Message Retrieval" - not mentioned in my previous post). I expect, for
> the most part, we could get away with tying together existing protocols and
> making any necessary improvements.

There are some big gaps: (most of) the current file transfer facilities in
Jabber do peer-to-peer bulk data transfer, which is no use for offline
messages. It's difficult to implement role-based or shared JIDs, e.g. for
use by a help desk. Jabber doesn't have a good solution for making changes
of address less painful. JEP 13 is designed for client-side archiving of
messages, whereas server-side is more useful for people who use multiple
clients (desktop/mobile/web). Server-side message stores need to be able
to efficiently send the few kilobytes of changes amongst hundreds of
megabytes of data when a client reconnects.

> Is there any reason why XMPP (with some more enhancements) can't be at least
> as "good" as email at everything email does - if we make that our goal?

I'm more interested in making use of the similarity between JIDs and email
addresses, so that it's easy for people to use whichever protocol is most
appropriate at any point in time. But don't let that stop you working
through the above todo list :-)

Tony.
FORTIES CROMARTY FORTH: SOUTHERLY 6 TO GALE 8, DECREASING 5 OR 6 LATER. RAIN
OR SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD.