[Standards-JIG] email best practices JEP

Jason Salaz jason at zenenet.com
Fri Sep 22 16:31:28 UTC 2006

Just wanted to *ditto* Hal:

On 9/22/06, Hal Rottenberg <halr9000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> > The email protocols, as a whole, are considerably more extended than
> > XMPP, and represent a vast installed base that makes XMPP usage look
> > like a minor blip
> <snip lots of good detail>
>
> While I agree with all of your reasoning, I think that you
> underestimate the ability of the consumer to move the market.  You do
> know it's already done with Gmail right?  Gtalk is perfectly
> integrated inside of the Gmail client.  I have no idea but I bet users
> love it.  If my jabber client slot wasn't already well occupied, I'd
> be using this feature of Gmail.

A friend of mine currently has no reason to install a Jabber client.
(Sorry Hal, I've pushed him towards Psi, but doesn't feel the need
:D.)
He uses the Talk interface integrated into GMail, and both of us carry
on our conversations.
It floats his boat, and I use my Psi install. Google has a very good
thing going with everything they're doing with/for XMPP, and as long
as they press forward (not that I see any reason why they wouldn't),
good things will only continue.