[Standards-JIG] re-authentication

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Sep 28 22:12:44 UTC 2006

Hi Chris!

Chris Mullins schrieb:
> One we get richer stream types (binary channels, etc) having a TTL like
> this might be very nice. This would let me open a binary stream so some
> resource, and have automatically closed after a preconfigured period of
> time. Also, we could have stream-within-stream features that had defined
> TTL's. We could also add in Karma type settings to this, so that after a
> certain byte count, or a certain sustained bytes/per second value the
> stream is terminated.

That sounds a bit like the Jabber over BEEP binding Iain Shigeoka
proposed in 2002
(http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2002-February/000216.html).

Well the proposal sounded a bit to radical for me in 2002 and I did not
like the idea of Jabber switching from TCP to BEEP as it would have ment
a completely incompatible change of the Jabber protocols. (I feared this
especially because Iain called that JabberNG.)

But I have to admit, that I never forgot the idea of Iain, and it got
some attraction on me. Especially as the Jabber/XMPP protocols have
advanced, and we already have different bindings of Jabber and ways to
support them in parallel (JEP-0124, JEP-0156).

> This could help also servers with the phantom connection issue that
> always plagues those that don't use keep-alives.

Sorry, but changing/enhancing the authentication to detect phantom
connections is just a dirty work-around.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56