[Standards-JIG] re-authentication

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Sep 28 22:49:52 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> I haven't looked at what XMPP over
> BEEP would really entail, but as you say it could be defined as an
> alternate transport for XMPP -- we'd have XMPP over TCP, XMPP over HTTP,
> XMPP over BEEP, maybe even XMPP over UDP someday (or reliable UDP?).

With XMPP over BEEP we would not have to care about TLS and SASL
ourselves, and we would get framing for free.

To be correct we get to types of framing:
- We would get our stanzas framed (i.e. we would know where our stanza
ends before we start parsing the XML). That is something I do not think
we need, but that has already been requested by others (JEP-0017).
- We could interleave our XML data with binary traffic. Allowing the
server to cheaper support "in-band" byte-streams.

> But right now I'm busy enough working on XMPP over TCP. :-)

I don't think we need XMPP over BEEP at present. Chris' posting just
remembered me about BEEP, and I wanted to express, that it could be
nice. But it is not the most important thing we need for now.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56