[Standards-JIG] re-authentication

Michal vorner Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Fri Sep 29 04:45:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:12:44AM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Hi Chris!
>
> Chris Mullins schrieb:
> > One we get richer stream types (binary channels, etc) having a TTL like
> > this might be very nice. This would let me open a binary stream so some
> > resource, and have automatically closed after a preconfigured period of
> > time. Also, we could have stream-within-stream features that had defined
> > TTL's. We could also add in Karma type settings to this, so that after a
> > certain byte count, or a certain sustained bytes/per second value the
> > stream is terminated.
>
> That sounds a bit like the Jabber over BEEP binding Iain Shigeoka
> proposed in 2002
> (http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2002-February/000216.html).

If on this ground, wouldn't SCTP fit better? It could be used in a way
like TCP, we could have the stanza boundaries and more streams and
multihoming (user with laptop capable of going around, changing his
connection from ethernet to wifi and back like he wants). And besides,
kernel takes care of that and should be capable of nicely balancing the
streams.

--
You can fool some of the people all of the time,
and all of the people some of the time,

Michal "vorner" Vaner