[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Component Connections

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Wed Aug 1 05:04:24 UTC 2007

XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Component Connections
>
> Abstract: This document specifies a standards-track XMPP protocol extension that enables server components to connect to XMPP servers.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.

What exactly does binding a hostname mean ? Multiple component JID's
over the same stream ? If yes, why exactly do we need it ?
Also, since there seems to be no restriction on what can be bound, it
can potentially bind valid s2s domains ... unlike the current component
jid which is preconfigured at the server.

Also, how would this interact with dix [1] ? Not sure of the state of
that submission - but just the support for multiple resources made it
very useful proposal.

Mridul

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/dix.html