[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Stanza Profiles

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Wed Aug 1 19:21:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:46:43AM -0500, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Message Stanza Profiles
>
> Abstract: This document specifies best practices for handling extended content in XMPP message stanzas.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.

Hm, this is an interesting XEP. I can imagine how client _might_ get
confused by such a message, but at least I wouldn't have much problems
with it.

I mean, I have to scan the message for all kinds of things anyway, eg.
for the mood and all the other rubbish.

I would then transmit each part to the program module that handles it
and let it proceed. Eg. the dataform would be displayed, the message
would be printed in the window, geoloc and mood will be updated and the
message module will figure out that the message is urgent and will of
course intercept the message if it has expired.

How are receiving clients expected to find out which profile the message
belongs to? Are they expected to find it out? Or are the profiles just a
recommendation for the sender to send messages that gurantee that the
message isn't confused by dumb clients?

Robin