[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Size Limits

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Thu Aug 2 08:18:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:40:41PM -0500, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Stanza Size Limits
>
> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP protocol extension for limiting the size of stanzas that an entity would like to receive from a server.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.

How are clients supposed to figure out what stanzas they can _send_ to
the server btw.? Is that covered by this XEP or some other XEP?  In case
of eg. private XML storage (or any other stanza) it might be desireable
for a client to know the limit _before_ it sends the XML to the server.

If I imagine I sent a large stanza and the server suddently tells me
it's too big, does the server disconnect me then? Does it ignore the
rest of the too big stanza so that I can continue sending other smaller
stanzas? How is the client supposed to react on that <stanza-too-big>
error?

Robin