[Standards] JID Escaping

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 2 15:42:41 UTC 2007

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 05:21:46PM +0200, Robin Redeker wrote:
>> It seems that at least the majority of the whidely deployed servers
>> support \ in JIDs in DIGEST-MD5 SASL authentication due to faulty SASL
>> DIGEST-MD5 implementations.
>
> Sorry, I meant:
> ... support NO \ in JIDs in DIGEST-MD5 ...

There are many problems and ambiguities with the DIGEST-MD5 SASL
mechanism, which is one reason the IETF is thinking about deprecating
it. (Join the SASL list for endless discussion of the issue.) In fact we
might want to deprecate it as well in rfc3920bis. TLS + SASL PLAIN seems
to be much easier to implement and deploy (which is why we added it as
mandatory-to-implement in rfc3920bis). But I'll talk with folks at the
IETF about this for clarification.

https://stpeter.im/