[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Size Limits

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 2 21:09:53 UTC 2007

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> 2007/8/2, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org>:
>
> Servers probably would have some range for possible limit values.
> Should there be a defined error stanza for trying to set too small or
> big value? Or should server be allowed to set the limit different than
> requested?

Probably return an error, yes.

> What if the blocked stanza is an IQ response? What should be the
> response for the original IQ request (roster query, for example)?

We may want to exempt such stanzas (they tend to be exempt now). So I
think this would apply to only outbound stanzas (i.e., things with a to
address other than yourself). So you could upload a big vCard or
download a big roster, but someone else would not be able to retrieve
your big vCard.

https://stpeter.im/