[Standards] summary: allowable characters

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Sat Aug 4 11:16:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 04:29:15AM +0530, Mridul Muralidharan wrote:

> Just mentioning a basic problem which was discussed at jdev.
>
> If two 1.0 server move to 1.1, all the 'older' 1.0 jid's will become
> unroutable - which are present in user roster/affiliations/privacylists/etc.

Yes, this sounds like the death blow for escaping for backward
compatibility. It will poison the old 1.0 servers and make whole roster
subscriptions unusable once that server upgrades to 1.1. (Not to mention
the JIDs in the private XML storage or other places you mentioned).

Do you see any problem in just disallowing incompatible 1.1 JIDs to be
able to communicate with 1.0 JIDs? The old 1.0-compatible JID accounts
on a 1.1 server will of course still be able to talk with people on 1.0
servers.

The network won't be split the day servers start speaking XMPP 1.1.
By preventing people with JIDs with incompatible characters to speak
with 1.0 servers the 1.1 servers can prevent that split.

The 1.1<->1.0 gap will grow with people who want to use the new
characters in their JID, and hopefully the server administrators also
upgrade their servers at the same speed that these people come.

Clients would also have to take care whether they speak to a 1.0 or 1.1
server. A client error message like: "your server doesn't support these
characters in the JID, convince the admin to upgrade!" will maybe even
raise the pressure for admins a bit to upgrade :-)

The problem with forcing admins to upgrade I see here is that they are
maybe forced to upgrade to a unstable version or not so stable version
as they had before.

Robin