[Standards] summary: allowable characters

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Sat Aug 4 23:40:13 UTC 2007

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 04:29:15AM +0530, Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>>
>> Just mentioning a basic problem which was discussed at jdev.
>>
>> If two 1.0 server move to 1.1, all the 'older' 1.0 jid's will become
>> unroutable - which are present in user roster/affiliations/privacylists/etc.
>>

> Yes, this sounds like the death blow for escaping for backward
> compatibility. It will poison the old 1.0 servers and make whole roster
> subscriptions unusable once that server upgrades to 1.1. (Not to mention
> the JIDs in the private XML storage or other places you mentioned).
>
> Do you see any problem in just disallowing incompatible 1.1 JIDs to be
> able to communicate with 1.0 JIDs? The old 1.0-compatible JID accounts
> on a 1.1 server will of course still be able to talk with people on 1.0
> servers.

The problem is 1.1 JID's cant communicate with 1.1 contact JID's -
if user has cont\26ct at domain, what will the 1.1 server do ? It could
either be pointing to a 1.1 cont\26ct at domain (route as-is), was a 1.0
jid - convert to cont&ct at domain (needs transformation) or continues to
be 1.0 cont\26ct at domain (route as-is) (all three as different cases,
though 1 and 3 look the same).

> The network won't be split the day servers start speaking XMPP 1.1.
> By preventing people with JIDs with incompatible characters to speak
> with 1.0 servers the 1.1 servers can prevent that split.

Existing data will be present - and without jid meta-data, we cant
associate encoding info.

One possible option would be to move to use uri scheme for jid's - (and
so this could be the differentiator for 1.1 vs 1.0).
More importantly, it would help in case of interop with other protocols.

Last time I brought this up, it was considered a bit too disruptive, and
so dropped :-) Since Peter was considering 1.1 of xmpp, maybe this would
be a good time to rethink this idea !

Regards,
Mridul