[Standards] summary: allowable characters

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sun Aug 5 10:44:27 UTC 2007

Robin Redeker schrieb:
> But the problem that we have then is that a 1.0 server, which will only
> receive escaped JIDs, stores those (escaped) 1.1 JIDs in the 1.0 contacts
> roster as escaped JIDs (because he doesn't even know they are escaped
> JIDs!).
>
> That means that after migration (1.0 server upgrades software to a 1.1
> capable one) those JIDs are still in their escaped form in the roster.
> And because there doesn't happen any escaping between 1.1 servers our
> recently upgraded 1.0 server has broken rosters.

I'd say that this just means that when migrating from a 1.0 server to a
1.1 server, that you have to convert the roster as it is stored on the
server.

This is something the server implementation has to handle. E.g. by
flagging rosters that are created on the 1.1 software are that have
already been converted. Whenever the software reads a roster without
this flag, it knows it has to convert the roster first.

Sorry, but I don't see the problem. Some sort of the same logic is also
needed for converting account names from a 1.0 server on upgrade to a
1.1 server.

Matthias