[Standards] IMML

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Tue Aug 7 12:12:21 UTC 2007

Hi Alex!

Alex Jones schrieb:
> <message>
>   <text>This is <imml:em>not</imml:em> a joke <imml:icon>;-)</imml:icon>
> <imml:uri>http://notajoke.org</imml:uri>
> </message>
>
> The beauty of this is that (specification permitting) if the client
> wishes to ignore the IMML markup and process the message as a
> traditional plain text message, it can. The message IS backwards
> compatible! This is exactly the way HTML works with respect to "unknown"
> elements.

In HTML this behaviour is defined, but XML is not HTML. You should not
expect the Jabber clients to ignore these extra tags. They typically do
parse the stanza and create some sort of a DOM like tree out of it.
Depending on how they implemented it, I expect you will get displayed
most of the time something out of that:

- "This is "
- " a joke "
- "This is  a joke "