[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Portable Import/Export Format for XMPP-IM Servers

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Tue Aug 7 17:42:20 UTC 2007

Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org> writes:

>> All user data is stored, but no server configuration data.
>
> It could be usefull as well to contains configuration data.
> Those which are implementation specific could be placed into some namespaces.
> If we find some config data which are common to every implementation, they
> could be placed as it.

Yes.  Actually, the main reason I wrote that was that I couldn't think
of any configuration that would be portable across servers ☺

>>   <user name='juliet' password='s3crEt'>
>
> I don't know if it's a good idea to store the password in plain text.  Some
> server could even not store the password in plaintext internally.
> That field should be facilitative, and eventually be possible to store the
> password hash.
> The problem is that user will loose their password so this is not good

I think it is no worse to have the password in an import/export file
than having it in a database; the set of people able to access it is
(in the ideal case) the same for both.  Anyway, the 'password'
attribute is optional for these very reasons.

As always, it's possible to include extra elements:

<password-hash xmlns='http://example.im/md5-hash'>
  d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
</password-hash>

> Also, there are many xep and future xep that are not in that format.  So it
> should be trivial to add new namespace in the format on later XEP
> publications. (i think for example to message archive, ...)

Yes, that was my intention.  Maybe there should be a register for such
extensions?

--
Magnus
JID: legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se