[Standards] Jingle: UDP relays

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Aug 7 17:48:52 UTC 2007

At the recent XMPP devcon, I talked a bit with Thiago Camargo about NAT
traversal and media relays. There are really two separate issues here:

1. Finding and using STUN servers for NAT traversal. This is discussed
in XEP-0215.

2. Finding and using relay servers for media transport. Thiago suggests
that a Jingle client could query its XMPP server for a UDP IP and port
("hostport") at a relay server and the XMPP server could reserve that
hostport for use by the client. The hostport might exist at a TURN [1]
server. However, as Rémi Denis-Courmont has pointed out [2] on the
IETF's BEHAVE list, it is not necessary for the relay to be a TURN
server. It's great if the relay is a TURN server, but it could be
something else -- and the important point is that for the purposes of
media relaying it doesn't really matter to the Jingle client whether the
relay does TURN or something simpler. So Thiago convinced me that if we
define a way for a Jingle client to ask its XMPP server for a UDP
hostport at a relay, we would have an easy way for a client to do media
relaying.

At this point I think we could (a) modify XEP-0215 to include the
hostport reservation functionality or (b) define a separate spec. I
don't have a strong preference about this right now, but Thiago and I
will look into the options sometime soon.

/psa

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-behave-turn-04

[2] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/behave/current/msg02647.html