[Standards] IMML

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Aug 8 02:40:43 UTC 2007

Top-posting discouraged, comments at the bottom.

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:04:25AM +0100, Alex Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:56 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Alex Jones wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see how XHTML-IM can support icon delimitation like IMML. I
> > > really don't think we are talking about a subset of XHTML-IM.
> >
> > Emoticons are an entirely separate problem. Feel free to update XEP-0038
> > or convince others to do so:
> >
> > http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0038.html
>
> >From XEP 38:
>
>   * The client sends the message with the text string to the intended
>     recipient.
>   * The recipient client receives the message with the text string.
>
> IMML complements XEP 38. The "text strings" are explicitly delimited in
> IMML "icon" elements, rather than just fumbled into the message with the
> hope that it is correctly parsed out again on the other side.

Yet XEP-0038 says:

***

The text strings representing the icons will be sent like any other text
(this document doesn't require extra tags or attributes in the messages
being sent).

***

Furthermore there are the concerns raised by pgmillard way back in 2003:

"I still have serious issues w/ -38. My primary concern is that it's
impossible to implement this JEP and still have a client be able to
handle 50K message bodies. I'd like to see this JEP turn into something
which just defines _STANDARD_ emtoticons for jabber, and be done with it."

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2003-April/002995.html

XMPP Standards Foundation