[Standards] IMML

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 12:21:22 UTC 2007

Alex Jones wrote:
> This isn't about formatting, this is about getting rid of the guesswork.
> Similar problems arise in parsing out icons in the presence of things
> like regular expressions. Or maybe even regular chat:
>
> Count the screws (there should be 8)
>
> Incorrectly gets parsed out as
>
> Count the screws (there should be SMILEYFACECOOL

I agree that we need to address this - since it is a relatively common
frustration for users.

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> If we just add another tag to explicitly mark emoticons - and remove
> the implicit rendering completely - then Alex's baseline requirements
> should be done with IM-XHTML itself ?

Yes. This would be backward compatible too since, IIRC, XHTML parsers
should ignore tags they don't understand (and the tag would be qualified
by a namespace other than 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' anyway).

- Ian