[Standards] NEW: XEP-0225 (Component Connections)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Aug 8 20:54:14 UTC 2007

Rachel Blackman wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>>> Version 0.1 of XEP-0225 (Component Connections) has been released.
>>>
>>> Abstract: This document specifies a standards-track XMPP protocol
>>> extension that enables server components to connect to XMPP servers.
>>
>> One of the items up for discussion is the default namespace for
>> component connections. At the XMPP DevCon we thought that it would be
>> good to use 'jabber:client', but I know that both Matthias Wimmer and
>> Ralph Meijer have some arguments for 'jabber:server'. So perhaps we
>> could have a debate about that. :)
>
> It does not quite seem to fit into either.
>
> I know it would be a real pain, but maybe this deserves its own
> namespace?  jabber:internal, perhaps?  Or jabber:service?

People seem to want to re-use an existing namespace. I tend to agree
with you, urn:xmpp:component seems like a good idea so that we don't
overload one of the existing namespaces. I'm especially concerned about
how the server would know whether to offer hostname binding and properly
authenticate the component if we re-use an existing default namespace.

/psa