[Standards] IMML - attribute tagging

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Thu Aug 9 00:13:45 UTC 2007

Dnia 07-08-2007, wto o godzinie 10:18 +0200, Michal 'vorner' Vaner
napisał(a):
> But I think emphasis is too much for the protocol. Besides, I would do
> backwards-compatible protocol (no other element besides xhtml and text,
> why send third version of the text). Just an idea:
>
> <message>
>   <text>This is not a joke ;-) http://notajoke.org</text>
>   <IMML:emoticon start='20' length='3'/>
>   <IMML:url start='24' length='19'/>
> </message>

+10 on this attribute tagging approach.

My experience with XHTML-IM during implementation for jggtrans is that
its both hard to generate (I guess that's why there are so few clients
implementing it) and to interpret (especially when you do not have a
full blown HTML renderer handy).

Attribute based systems are both trivial to generate, interpret and
degrade well with systems that do not know it and just skip it (even
better than HTML based systems).

--
Tomasz Sterna
Xiaoka Grp.  http://www.xiaoka.com/