[Standards] Jingle: UDP relays

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 9 17:24:04 UTC 2007

Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> At the recent XMPP devcon, I talked a bit with Thiago Camargo about NAT
>> traversal and media relays. There are really two separate issues here:
>>
>> 1. Finding and using STUN servers for NAT traversal. This is discussed
>> in XEP-0215.
>>

> New STUNbis doesn't define "STUN servers". Currently STUNbis is a low
> level protocol which you can use in other protocols such as ICE and TURN.

Correct.

I wonder how long before rfc3489bis is widely implemented. :)

>> However, as Rémi Denis-Courmont has pointed out [2] on the
>> IETF's BEHAVE list, it is not necessary for the relay to be a TURN
>> server. It's great if the relay is a TURN server, but it could be
>> something else -- and the important point is that for the purposes of
>> media relaying it doesn't really matter to the Jingle client whether the
>> relay does TURN or something simpler.
>>

> I can't agree :) Why do we need a zoo of relay servers? What is it for?

Who said anything about a zoo? Thiago mentioned that there's no real
need for the relay server to be a TURN server, and at least some people
on the BEHAVE list (and elsewhere) seem to agree. But I'll let Thiago
explain the reasoning more fully.

BTW, can you recommend a good open-source a codebase that can be used to
run a STUN server and/or TURN relay?

/psa