[Standards] NEW: XEP-0225 (Component Connections)

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Fri Aug 10 00:16:00 UTC 2007

Hi Peter!

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> I don't have a strong preference really. A component feels a bit more
> like a client because it is a local connection, plus c2s connections are
> simpler than s2s connections. Let's pick one and be done with it. :)

The reason why I for the most part suggest using jabber:server instead
of jabber:client is, that in the jabber:client namespace the from
attribute on stanza is optional, while on jabber:server it is not. I
think this is one of the biggest differences between these two
namespaces. So the component connection which also forces this stanza
attribute to be present matches better the jabber:server namespace.

Minor reasons:
- I'd say that component connections are more like a s2s connection, as
you do not manage sessions from them in the server. pre-2.0 versions of
jabberd2 even did not have a dedicated s2s component but did s2s
directly in the router (where also components connect to).
- Both with s2s and components you typically route one or more domains
completely to the same desination. With c2s you only route single users
out of a domain.

Matthias