[Standards] NEW: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Aug 10 02:55:47 UTC 2007

Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le jeudi 9 août 2007, Peter Saint-Andre a écrit :
>> Olivier Goffart wrote:

>>> One year ago, i also wrote a JEP about that (but never published it)
>>>
>>> The concept is quite the same.  (but i also defined a lower important
>>> message level)
>>>
>>> I did not publish it because I was thinking it could be included in the
>>> SHIM (XEP-0131)
>> You mean like this?
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0131.html#headers-urgency
>
> Exactly.
>
> If we agree that urgent message demand a particular attention, we have two
> different specification for the same thing.
>
> The only difference is that you may demand attention for the previous message
> you sent.  The message which demand the attention is not urgent itself, only
> the whole discussion is.
> Bu i think it probably doesn't matter.
>
> What I suggest is to modify the XEP-0224 into a kind of "Best Practices"
> or "Buisness rules" regarding important messages.

I think the idea behind "attention" is different. The reference to
XEP-0132 in the introduction to XEP-0224 is not just a joke. The
protocol is not intended as a way to flag a message as more important,
but literally to poke or prod the contact, as in "hey, pay attention".
Personally I don't think I would ever use the feature, but it's one of
those things that lots of end users think is cool, so who am I to deny
them their fun?

/psa