[Standards] NEW: XEP-0224 (Attention)

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Fri Aug 10 11:39:49 UTC 2007

On Aug 09, 2007, at 21:55, Sergei Golovan wrote:

>> I think that attention messages should not be sent with a <body/>,
>> but
>> should be a standalone message of type='headline', like so:
>>
>> <message from='calvin at usrobots.lit/lab'
>>          to='herbie at usrobots.lit/home'
>>          type='headline'>
>>   <attention xmlns='http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/
>> xep-0224.html#ns'/>
>> </message>
>
> This message looks like <iq/> but <iq/> is better because the
> recipient may receive result in case of accepted attention or error in
> case of ignored one. The ability of getting a response even makes
> disco#info queries unnecessary.

I chose to use <message/> instead of <iq/> because you don't have to
specify a resource to send the message, and you don't need a reply on
this one (every <iq/>-message is a potential memory leak, when the
receiving client doesn't behave properly), because even when the
client displays the attention grabbing event, you can't know if the
user has seen/heard it. Is there a serious reason to go to <iq/>?

The <body/> element is not required in this spec, but I could change
it to SHOULD NOT contain, would that be better?

andy